05 February 2012

Shrimp & Ginger Soup
{Phase 2}

I made this the first night of the VLCD
(very low calorie diet...you know it's all about the lingo.)

I was trying to figure out what to make the family and what to make myself and thankfully this just pulled itself together in my brain.

It was pretty good.  And pretty filling since it was a soup; which was mentally a very good thing for me at that point.

_______________________________________

100g or 3.5oz frozen or thawed shrimp.  I had a bag of precooked frozen shrimp from Costco so I just went with it and used slightly less than 100g.

2ish cups of water.  I actually made this in my little omelette pan and I just filled it up.
A generous amount of garlic powder.
A generous amount of onion powder.
A conservative amount of ginger powder.  You can always add more later.
A dash of paprika
A squeeze of lemon juice.

However much cabbage, green onion, regular onion, or spinach you would like.  You could probably easily use many of the other greens allowed in the protocol but those are the three I like so I'm listing them as my options.
I used cabbagae and it was good.  I will probably try spinach next time.

______________________________________

Season your shrimp with the seasoning you would like.  Add a tiny amount of water and sautee the shrimp long enough to incorporate the flavors into the shrimp itself.  Otherwise the shrimp will be bland within the soup.  Ask me how I know.  ;)

Add the rest of the water and the amount of seasoning you think looks good.  
But remember, you can always add more later.

Add the veggie of choice and boil until veggie is the desired consistency and the shrimp is done.  If you are using raw shrimp you will want to make sure you get it done.  This soup took literally minutes for me to make but my shrimp was pre-cooked.

The paprika gave it a good kick and the broth was delcious.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me, people. I'm a SAHM, you know. :)